Who says you need to go to the gym and spend hours in there trying to get a flat tummy? Someone who hasn’t tried strengthening her core right at home. That’s for sure!
Now it’s true that the list of stomach exercise at home is quite long. Pair any movement from the list with clean, healthy eating. And you’ll no longer have to wear the best shapewear for muffin top and tummy pooch.
The best part about working out at home is that you can do it whenever you want. A single session doesn’t last for too long. So you can repeat the set more than once a day. And all you require for the workout is a mat.
Now let’s find out how to incorporate the flat tummy exercise at home plan into your workout routine.
5 Exercises for a Flat Stomach at Home
There is no other movement like crunches to burn your belly fat quickly. When it comes to fat-shedding exercise, crunches occupy the top spot. So let’s not leave them out.
Here’s how to perform the proper crunch exercise stomach:
- Lie down on the mat with your stomach facing up. Bend your knees and keep the feet on the mat.
- Place your hands behind the head. You can even choose to keep your hands crossed above the chest.
- Now lift the upper torso and lower it back down. Don’t forget to inhale and exhale. Inhale when going down. Exhale when lifting.
- You can do at least 10-20 reps in a single set. And about 2-3 sets daily.
When performing crunches, don’t lift yourself completely. All you have to do is raise your spine just a few inches off the mat. This prevents back injuries.
Also, keep in mind that jerking the neck forward during the exercise is not good. It can lead to neck pain in the long run. So instead of allowing your hand to support the neck, simply hold the hands above the head.
#2 Bicycle Crunches
Do you actually need a bicycle for this? Nope, not at all!
Think of it as cycling while lying down. On the mat of course! And with hand movements of course!
Here’s how to do it:
- Lay flat on the mat with your hands placed next to you. You can even keep them behind the head while performing the movement.
- Now it’s time to lift your legs. Get them off the mat and bend the knees.
- Then bring the left knee near your chest. And your right elbow near your left knee. All the while keeping the right leg away.
- Next, do the same with the right leg and left elbow.
- Keep alternating between the two legs. Just like your cycling!
[YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwyvozckjak]
#3 Lunge Twist
If you’re a beginner, you can rely on this exercise completely. To shed belly fat very fast!
- Stand up straight, with legs apart from each other (hip-width distance). Bend your knees slightly.
- Now lift your hands as to align them with the shoulders. That means you have to keep them parallel to the floor.
- Then lunge forward. Take a huge step forward using the left leg. It’s as if you’re sitting down in the air. Knees should be 90 degrees to the floor. And your left leg is behind, positioned backward. Support it with your toes.
- Straight spine throughout the exercise. Don’t bend it forward.
- Next, twist just the torso, not the legs, to the left and right.
- Repeat this at least 15 times. Alternating between your two legs of course.
#4 Rolling Plank
Trust me; you don’t need 5 exercises for a flat stomach at home. Particularly if you get hooked on to this rolling plank. Or to the many other plank variations! And that’s because rolling plank works up all the muscles present around the abdomen region. Along with toning your lower back and hip muscles!
So let’s get to know how it’s done:
- Lie down on the mat. But this time your back should be facing up.
- Make sure your neck and spine are in a straight line. Look ahead.
- Lift your knees and get on your elbows. Remember to support the legs on your toes. This is the normal plank pose.
- To perform rolling plank, move sideways. First to the left, meaning only your left elbow is resting on the mat. Raise your right hand toward the sky to maintain balance. Hold this position for half a minute.
- Then go back into the normal plank before rolling to the right. And remaining there for another 30 seconds.
- Once you get the hang of it, increase the time limit. Extend it to one minute on each side.
Don’t take the plank workout too lightly. It’s a physically challenging exercise. So keep breathing. Otherwise, you might feel dizzy or nauseated.
#5 Mountain Climbers
This one is a fast-paced moving plank. You can go slow too. But for fat shedding in the tummy area, it’s necessary to move quickly. Either way, the exercise keeps your core engaged.
Here’s how to do mountain climbers:
- Get into the push-up position. Hands should be below the shoulders. Make sure your body is in a straight line.
- Now lift the left foot off the mat. Driving the left knee toward your chest.
- Bring back the foot to the ground and then lift the right foot.
- You can do 20 mountain climbers at once, 10 with each leg.
[YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmwgirgXLYM]
So these are the most effective 5 exercises for a flat stomach at home. Obviously, there are many more. But you can start with these movements. They focus on flattening and toning your abdominal muscles.
But are you a bit impatient with achieving results quickly? Then consider increasing your reps and sets per day. Or trying doing some form of cardio workout too!
Healthy eating habits are also very helpful. So don’t neglect the importance of a proper diet.
About the author:
Jennifer Kessler talks about both the forward-looking and unfavorable aspects of things. Knowing both sides of the coin is important when it comes to decision-making. Be it for buying useful products or incorporating a new lifestyle routine. This is exactly what she discusses on her blog. In the form of thorough product recommendations and invaluable tips and tricks!